Although mothers usually keep their lifestyle healthy during breast-feeding period, some illnesses just cannot be avoided. Some breast-feeding-related illnesses are exact examples. Nursing mother can suffer from nipple sore, nipple bleed, and mastitis—breasts inflammation accompanied by fever. The latter, especially the fever has aroused some questions; is it safe for mothers to keep nursing while having fever, and what kind of fever medication is safe for them?
Can I still Breast-feed while Having Fever?
Since breast-feeding means feeding your baby with breast milk directly from your body, it is not surprising that you might be concerned on how safe it is to breast-feed while you are sick. As a matter of fact, your body has begun releasing immune response toward the illness before you see the symptoms. This substance that fights your illness then is passed to your baby while she is breastfed. It keeps the baby safe from illness exposure while gets some food through breast-feeding. In fact, this natural immunization enables stronger protection to baby’s body. Besides, when you pass the illnesses to your baby, your breast milk will be the natural treatment, so you should keep your baby breastfed.
Will Medication Affect Baby through Breast Milk
When breast-feeding, you might be a little concerned on taking medication for your mastitis fever, because you are not sure whether this medication will affect your breast milk and thus, affect your baby’s health. In fact, your breast milk is enriched with antibody and natural immune system that will protect your baby from getting passed of your illness. When you are suffering from mastitis, you also should not stop breast-feeding, since it will worsen the illness. As a body compound, breast milk will not get easily contaminated by any medication you take, except those for cancer treatments and chemotherapy. You should be really careful in taking medication during the first trimester of pregnancy. Yet, after giving birth, you can slightly loose the bound.
Can I take any Medication for my Fever, then?
Any chemical substance will give your body side effect, although it is not harmful. Any common medication is considered safe to be taken during breast-feeding. However, these considerations might help you.
- Acetaminophen is the most common and safest medication for fever and pain. This class of substance has only little possibility to contaminate your breast milk.
- Short-time common narcotic medication, such as codeine and morphine should be avoided during early stage of pregnancy, yet it is safe for nursing mother. Your baby will not be affected by these drugs. However, prolonged use of this medication will not be acceptable for breastfed baby.
- As far as you can, consider natural, herbal treatment for your fever. Lemon tea is a well-known natural treatment for fever. Herbal remedies have no side effects on your body and will not let your kidney work too hard like those chemical medications do.
- If your fever is a result of mastitis, you might consider putting warm towel over your breasts to relax their tissues and thus, will cure the inflammation. As soon as your inflamed breasts cured, your fever will also gradually vanish.
- You can also consider giving yourself warm bath. Do not use cold water to bring the temperature down as it will worsen it.
- Drink hot tea or eat warm soup to help your body sweat. Ginger tea or warm chicken soup might be good remedies for fever since they will let your body sweat after consumed. Sweating will keep your temperature down and gradually let the fever go.
- When having fever, make sure your body keeps hydrated. Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water may prevent your body from dehydrated which can appear easily with fever. Consuming fruits with vitamin C can also help.
Despite the little effect on your breast milk caused by chemical medication, it will leave your kidney work harder. That is why natural home remedies are the best consideration to take when you are suffering from fever during your months of breast-feeding. They have no side effects and also give natural healthy nutrients to your body that will help all hormones work well and prevent misbehaving.