Soda is extremely popular with both adults and children. This has been a great beverage companion for fast foods over decades. Soda, or what sometimes referred as soft drink is a kind of beverage which mixes carbonated water with sweetener and flavoring. Soda is whether canned or bottled and can be easily found in supermarkets, fast food stalls, or vending machines.
What does Soda Contain?
Soda or soft-drink contains carbonated water, sweetener, and flavoring. Soda is produced by mixing carbon dioxide into high-pressured water. As a result, this carbon dioxide gas then will deform into carbonate acid. When drunk, carbonate acid produces cracking sensation in the mouth. Today’s, soda comes in many different flavors of fruit and cola. Some kinds of sweetener—not only the natural cane sugar are mixed in soda. Those are cane sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, or aspartame. High-fructose corn syrup and aspartame is artificial sweetener that is200 times sweeter than cane sugar.
Is Soda Good for your Health?
Soda mostly consists of sweetener, thus it is high in sugar and usually poor in nutrition. It is also high in acid and may contain food preservation. Hence, soda does not contain beneficial nutrients other than calories. Calories resulted from a can of soda is quiet high. Every can is equal to approximately 8 spoons of sugar, while your body only needs 3 spoons of sugar per day. It is imaginable, thus that soda may contribute to high sugar level in your bloodstream if consumed excessively. Besides sugar, caffeine is sometimes added to soda mixture. You should also put in your mind that soda contains preserver, artificial flavor, and acid. It is fine to consume soda occasionally, although in fact, it does not contain any beneficial substances inside.
What Health Issues can be caused by Soda?
To be thorough, some are health issues that may be induced by excessive consumption of soda.
- As stated, soda contain sugar—and artificial sugar 3 times more than the amount your body needs daily. High sugar consumption might result in obesity.
- Degenerative diseases. High sugar level in your bloodstream also leads to diabetes. Besides, caffeine and artificial flavor also induce heart disturbance and cancer.
- Soda has low pH level. A canned soda has pH of 2-3 while your body pH is 6.5-7. When consuming soda, your body needs to adjust the pH level by consuming more calcium. This calcium is supposed to be absorb by your bones, instead of stabilizing your body pH. Because of this “accidental” consumption, your bone lose its solidity and leads to osteoporosis.
- Broken teeth.High amount of sugar consumed through canned soda will end up causing tooth carries. Besides, tooth email can also be broken by the acid mixed in soda.
- Caffeine found in soda has the role of causing both men and women to be less fertile. Both sperms and ovum become twenty percent less fertile when you consume soda.
Is Soda Good for Pregnancy
In a can of soda, no balanced nutrition are found. Instead, large amount of sugar, artificial sweetener, high level of acid, and caffeine are mixed together. Yes, soda is definitely refreshing and can easily be found over years. This has become children’s favorite and family old-time joy. However, when talking about pregnancy, you are advised to take balanced foods with sufficient good nutrition for you and your unborn baby.By drinking soda, you are drinking only calories without any balanced nutrients. It is not that soda is not safe to be drunk when you are pregnant, it is that you should really put into account about how much soda you consume. Should you get the urge to drink a canned caffeinated soda, drink it very limitedly, only to satisfy your desire. Do not let soda replace any beneficial foods you should take.
Soda contains some unhealthy substances that can harm your unborn at some level. Therefore, it is better to take other healthy drinks—juice, smoothies, water, or coconut water to get your calories from. Healthy diets are the key to healthy pregnancy and you should remember only to take advantageous foods and beverages when pregnant.